SportsPulse: New Mexico State’s late sport debacle derailed their probabilities of pulling off the large upset and highlighted a typical theme early within the tourney: Cinderellas falling quick.
March Insanity is formally right here. Wall-to-wall school basketball for the whole day because the 64 groups remaining begin the primary spherical.
Comply with all of Thursday’s NCAA event motion right here with in-game and post-game evaluation on all 16 video games, in addition to the largest information of the day. All instances Jap
► No. 6 Villanova vs. No. 11 Saint Mary’s: The Gaels want to play spoiler towards the defending nationwide champions of their first sport since beautiful high seed Gonzaga within the West Coast event last. They path ‘Nova 47-42. Eight minutes left.
► No. 1 Gonzaga vs. No. 16 Fairleigh Dickinson (halftime): The ‘Zags are crushing their play-in winner foe, 83-43. Rui Hachimura (21 factors) is main a balanced assault to maintain the Knights out of attain. Four minutes left.
► FINAL — No. 10 Florida 70, No. 7 Nevada 61: The Gators fended off a late second half rally by the Wolf Pack, who stormed again to make it a one-possession sport after trailing by 18 factors. The Gators survived after Nevada went chilly within the closing stretch.
► FINAL —No. 2 Kentucky 79 vs. No. 15 Abilene Christian 44: The Wildcats hammered the Southland champion, a crew that simply joined Division 1 a couple of years in the past. It confirmed towards a kingpin blue-blood.
MARCH ALMOST MADNESS: Cinderella mid-majors whiff in near-upsets
FLORIDA STATE: Player found out about dad’s death after NCAA win
First eight video games
No. 5 Marquette vs. No. 12 Murray State
► FINAL — No. 12 Murray State 83, No. 5 Marquette 64: The Racers gave us our first major upset of the day behind star Ja Morant’s triple double of 17 points, 16 assists and 11 rebounds. He spearheaded a collaborative assertion victory asserting to the natiion that Murray State is right here for greater than only a first-round upset, as this sport wasn’t even shut.
- 6:47 p.m.: Murray State leads 75-58 and continues to indicate it is extra than simply Ja Morant, utilizing a collaborative effort to place away Marquette. Three:43 remaining
- 6:27 p.m.: The Racers have constructed a 70-50 result in appear to be the higher seed on this first spherical matchup that appears destined to provide us our first double-digit upset of the day. But it is arduous to contemplate it an upset when this Ja Morant-led Murray State crew was a favourite choose to advance to the second spherical. 6 minutes remaining.
- 5:45 p.m. (halftime): Murray State appears to be like poised to bust brackets as Thursday’s first huge upset, main 42-35 on the half. The Racers’ Ja Morant has 10 first-half factors and Marquette’s Markus Howard has 16 factors.
- 5:12 p.m.: The person duel between Ja Morant and Markus Howard is off, and the Golden Eagles wanted to name a timeout with Murray State main early 18-10. 14:10 remaining.
No. 6 Maryland vs. No. 11 Belmont
► FINAL — No. 6 Maryland 79, No. 11 Belmont 77: The Terrapins fought off Belmont’s Cinderella bid, hanging on within the closing seconds in a down-to-the-wire battle. The Bruins’ Dylan Windler completed with 35 factors and 11 rebounds however a last-second heave fell means quick to finish their bracket-busting possibilities.
- 5:35 p.m.: Maryland leads 79-77 due to forcing an enormous turnover late. Two seconds left.
- 5:30 p.m.: Nick Muszynski’s three-pointer made it a one-point sport with slightly below a minute remaining. Maryland leads 78-77. 59 seconds remaining.
- 5:27 p.m.: Dylan Windler (35 factors) is attempting to assist the Bruins pull off the large upset, however the Terrapins 9-2 run has helped them construct a 77-73 lead right here late. 1:18 remaining.
- 5:05 p.m.: Belmont reclaimed the lead, 60-58, after falling behind halfway via the second half. Eight:13 remaining.
- Four:40 p.m.: Maryland punched again arduous early within the second half, grabbing a 44-40 lead over Belmont off an enormous three-pointer from Eric Ayala that capped a 5-Zero run. 18:11 remaining.
- Four:15 p.m. (halftime): The Bruins lead 40-34 after the primary half. Belmont main scorer Dylan Windler is sizzling, with 15 factors on Four-for-7 three-point taking pictures. Maryland, in the meantime, is 2-for-11 from past the arc.
- Four:02 p.m.: Belmont, a Cinderella choose for a lot of, lead by 12 greater than halfway via the primary half, wanting like the higher crew towards a youthful Maryland squad. Eight:33 remaining.
- Three:45 pm.: Belmont’s Dylan Windler, who struggled offensively vs. Temple, drained a three-pointer to provide the Bruins an early 11-9 lead. 14:13 remaining.
No. 2 Michigan State vs. No. 15 Bradley
► FINAL — No. 2 Michigan State 76, No. 14 Bradley 65: The rating will not point out how a lot coach Tom Izzo and the Spartans had been sweating this sport out, because it took a decided effort from Michigan State to drag away down the stretch and fend off the Braves’ near-upset that might’ve busted brackets in every single place.
- 5:14 p.m.: The Spartans are pulling away on this one, hitting their free throws and capitalizing off Bradley’s late-game miscues. They lead 70-62. 54 seconds left.
- 5:08 p.m.: Michigan State used a fast 9-Zero run to silence Bradley’s bracket-busting hopes, giving the Spartans a 63-55 edge. 2:34 remaining.
- 5:01 p.m.: Cassius Winston (22 factors) will not let Michigan State fall sufferer to Cinderella candidate Bradley, scoring a runner to make it 58-55 on the final TV timeout. Three:47 remaining.
- Four:50 p.m.: The Braves are proper there with Michigan State, trailing 54-53 within the second half as they’re giving the Spartans every little thing they will deal with on this potential bracket-buster. 7 minutes remaining.
- Four:29 p.m.: The Spartans do not need a repeat of what occurred to them as a No. 2 seed within the 2016 NCAA event when Center Tennessee State bounced them within the first spherical. No. 15 seed Bradley got here out robust, main within the first half, however Michigan State should’ve gotten an enormous speech by Tom Izzo at halftime — constructing a 44-39 lead on the first TV timeout. 15 minutes remaining.
- Four:01 p.m. (halftime): The Braves are right here with an upset in thoughts, main Michigan State 35-34 within the first half.
- Three:36 p.m.: Michigan State is clutching to a 20-19 lead in a sport towards a Bradley crew the Spartans had been anticipated to blow out. Not up to now. 7:59 remaining.
- Three:22 p.m.: Michigan State retook the lead, 13-12, right here on the second TV timeout of the sport after getting off to a gradual begin. 11:49 remaining within the first half.
- Three:15 p.m.: The Braves are out to a pleasant begin, main the Spartans 10-6 in a sport Last 4-favored Michigan State is predicted to blow out. 15:32 remaining.
No. Four Kansas vs. No. 13 Northeastern
► FINAL — No. Four Kansas 87, No. 13 Northeastern 53: This one wasn’t even shut, as Kansas hammered the mid-major Huskies to provide them an unwelcome NCAA event look. All-American Dedric Lawson paved the best way with 25 factors and 11 rebounds. KU out-rebounded Northeastern 45-27 and outshot them 56 p.c to 28 p.c.
- 5:55 p.m.: The Jayhawks have construct a snug 21-point lead, up 59-36, and placing the sport out of attain halfway via the second half. 9 minutes remaining.
- 5:10 p.m. (halftime): Kansas’ Dedric Lawson has been an unstoppable pressure (16 factors, seven rebounds) to assist the Jayhawks construct a snug cushion towards mid-major Northeastern, main 37-25 at halftime.
- Four:54 p.m.: Kansas leads hopeful Cinderella Northeastern 28-19 late within the first half within the final TV timeout earlier than halftime. 5 minutes remaining.
- Four:47 p.m.: The Jayhawks are doing their finest to shake off Northeastern’s upset bid. They lead 20-16 halfway via the primary half. 9 minutes remaining.
No. 5 Auburn vs. No. 12 New Mexico State
► FINAL — No. 5 Auburn 78, No. 12 New Mexico State 77: The Aggies had two possibilities to win with one second left and be Cinderella, first on the free-throw line when Terrell Brown went 1-for-Three, after which once more on a potential-game profitable three that air-balled. Questions surfaced because the why New Mexico State did not take a wide-open layup earlier than passing out for 3 as Auburn survived. Coach Bruce Pearl mentioned afterwards, “typically it is higher to be fortunate than good.” Ah, March Insanity.
- Three:47 p.m.: With Auburn main 78-76, New Mexico State’s Terrell Brown was fouled on a three-pointer. 1.1 seconds left.
- Three:44 p.m.: New Mexico State’s JoJo Zamora drilled a three-pointer to make it a one-point sport. Auburn leads 77-76. Eight seconds remaining.
- Three:42 p.m.: We have a ball sport right here people. Auburn solely leads 75-73 after an enormous run from New Mexico State. 14 seconds remaining.
- Three:34 p.m.: Auburn leads New Mexico State 73-68 with 50 seconds remaining.
- Three:23 p.m.: On the final TV timeout of the sport, the 30-win Aggies path hot-shooting Auburn 70-61, because the Tigers proceed to counter New Mexico State’s Cinderella punches with robust taking pictures from the surface and strain protection. Four:12 remaining.
- Three:10 p.m.: New Mexico State’s upset bid is falling out of attain, as Auburn continues to shoot nicely (9 three-pointers on the day) and play sensible (simply 4 turnovers) whereas making the mid-major Aggies uncomfortable by forcing 13 turnovers. Auburn leads 65-52. 7:54 remaining.
- Three:02 p.m.: On the second TV timeout of the second half, New Mexico State trails Auburn 53-45 in a sport that is seeing the Tigers separate themselves with factors off turnovers and a pair of three-pointers.
- 2:31 p.m. (halftime): Cinderella a lot? New Mexico State trails Auburn simply 32-29 within the first half after beginning sizzling after which being thrown off by the Tigers’ robust play (forcing eight first-half turnovers). Auburn coach Bruce Pearl mentioned the sport’s shut as a credit score to “New Mexico State’s fast guards.” Johnny McCants has contributed 10 factors off the bench for the Aggies, as coach Chris Jans makes use of a deep bench.
- 2:06 p.m.: New Mexico State’s Jans mentioned earlier than Thursday’s sport he was most involved with Auburn’s athleticism, and we’re seeing why within the first half because the Tigers lead the Aggies 28-22 largely because of a tenaciousness they have not seen earlier than. Four:07 left within the first half.
- 1:59 p.m.: Auburn is beginning to present why its a dark-horse on this event, taking a 25-19 first half lead after trailing early on. 6:22 remaining within the first half.
- 1:49 p.m.: New Mexico State is doing its finest to grow to be the day’s first Cinderella, main Auburn 19-17. 10:42 remaining.
- 1:36 p.m.: Our third sport of the day has tipped off, with the SEC event champion Tigers attempting to fend off viable Cinderella candidate and 30-win ball membership New Mexico State. New Mexico State leads 7-6 early on. 15:47-minute mark of the primary half.
No. Four Florida State vs. No. 13 Vermont
► FINAL — No. Four Florida State 76, No. 13 Vermont 69: Vermont began off sizzling and appeared prefer it’d be the day’s first Cinderella by matching FSU blow for blow within the first half and early within the second half. However, finally, the Seminoles confirmed why they are a dark-horse to get to the Last 4 as they pulled away late within the second half. Florida State held on regardless of taking pictures 25 p.c from three, whereas the Catamounts had been a blistering 47 p.c from past the arc.
- Four:05 p.m.: Vermont’s upset bid is beginning to fall out of attain, as Florida State leads 66-58 with little time left to flip the momentum. 1:57 remaining.
- Three:33 p.m.: Florida State leads 44-43 on the second TV timeout of the second half within the back-and-forth affair. 11:34 remaining.
- Three:29 p.m.: Vermont is doing its finest to grow to be the day’s first Cinderella, main Florida State 43-42. 12:19 remaining.
- 2:50 p.m. (halftime): Florida State and Vermont are deadlocked in a 27-27 tie, establishing a second half that would flip into one of many event’s first bracket-busters.
- 2:28 p.m.: Florida State and Vermont are going forwards and backwards on this see-saw battle and hardly wanting like an ACC crew vs. an America East crew. It is 17-16 FSU. Eight:28 remaining within the first half.
- 2:18 p.m.: Vermont’s early lead is beginning to fall away, as FSU is clawing again. The Catamounts nonetheless lead 16-12 on the second TV timeout of the sport. 11:26 remaining within the first half.
- 2:10 p.m.: Vermont takes an early 10-Four lead on a Florida State crew that many suspect is sweet sufficient to succeed in the Last 4. The Catamounts have quite a lot of Cinderella elements to bust brackets, beginning with Anthony Lamb (21.Four pp). 15-minute-mark of the primary half.
No. Three LSU vs. No. 14 Yale
► FINAL — No. Three LSU 79, No. 14 Yale 74: The Tigers barely fended off a decided Yale crew’s late comeback try, with the Bulldogs’ Alex Copeland making issues fascinating with a barrage of three-pointers. LSU made its free-throws down the stretch, although, and had been capable of survive to advance to the second spherical. Yale was an atrocious Eight-for-37 from three-point vary, which means had they been hitting they might’ve been the day’s first Cinderella.
- 2:43 p.m.: We have a ball sport right here in Jacksonville. LSU is up 72-68 and tryin to fend off Yale’s late comeback try. 30.9 seconds remaining.
- 2:40 p.m.: Yale is not going out quietly, making it a 68-62 sport with 1:25 remaining.
- 2:16 p.m.: Can Yale put collectively a late run to placed on the day’s first glass slipper. The Bulldogs path 57-49 and are nonetheless alive on this factor. 10:08 remaining.
- 2:05 p.m.: Yale is making a comeback of kinds, utilizing a 10-2 run to make it 51-41. 15 minutes remaining.
- 1:58 p.m.: LSU continues to make use of its athleticism to pressure turnovers and hold mid-major Yale out of attain, main 49-37. 16:20 remaining.
- 1:27 p.m. (halftime): LSU is taking good care of enterprise, main 45-29 after a primary half that noticed Yale shoot simply Three-for-17 (18%) from past the arc. In the meantime, the Tigers are scoring within the paint with ease.
- 1:17 p.m.: Yale is getting good outdoors appears to be like, however might construct a home with all their bricks. The Bulldogs are simply Three-for-13 (23%) from three-point vary. Make a few these and it would be a sport. As a substitute LSU leads comfortably 37-25. Three:05 remaining within the first half.
- 1:08 p.m.: LSU is conserving Yale at arm’s size, main 30-21 and countering the Bulldogs’ makes an attempt at a run with robust counter-punches. 7:23 left within the first half.
- 1 p.m.: LSU is holding a 19-13 edge on the second TV timeout, as Yale has began to settle in and catch up. 11:54-minute mark of the primary half.
- 12:53 p.m.: The Tigers lead 13-5 on the first TV timeout. 15-minutes remaining.
- 12:48 p.m.: The Tigers soar out to an early 9-Zero lead on the Bulldogs. 17:17-minute mark of the primary half.
No. 7 Louisville vs. No. 10 Minnesota
► FINAL — No. 10 Minnesota 86, No. 7 Louisville 76: The Gophers shot simply 32 p.c from three-point vary on the season however broke out in their opening round game, going 11-for-27 (41 p.c) from past the arc to cruise previous a Cardinals crew that ended the season shedding Eight of 11 video games. Coach Richard Pitino was most happy with the protection, although. “We had been actually locked in, we disrupted them, we bothered them,” Pitino mentioned after the sport.
Invoice Murray rooting towards the Gophers made for a humorous facet story line. Murray’s son is an assistant at Louisville. Caddshack references had been aplenty within the coloration commentary.
- 1:57 p.m.: Minnesota is placing these one out of attain, wanting poised to advance to the spherical of 32 with a 64-50 cushion. 7:44 minutes remaining.
- 1:39 p.m.: The Gophers lead 53-41 on the second TV timeout of the second half, persevering with to shoot nicely from three-point vary with eight triples. 13:16 remaining.
- 1:25 p.m.: Minnesota began the second half with an Eight-Zero run in lower than 50 seconds, constructing a 43-33 lead. 19 minutes remaining.
- 1:01 p.m (Halftime): Minnesota leads the primary half 38-33. Solely averaging 5 three-pointers a sport, the Gophers have already made six. Coach Richard Pitino mentioned in a halftime interview that he feels his crew is benefiting from being “affected person” however needs to see higher protection within the second half.
- 12:58 p.m.: Minnesota is clutching to a 33-31 lead as halftime nears. 1:18 remaining within the first half.
- 12:50 p.m.: The Gophers lead 25-21 on the final TV timeout of the primary half. Three:39 left till halftime.
- 12:41 p.m.: The Gophers simply took a 21-17 lead following back-to-back three pointers. 6:28 remaining within the first half.
- 12:30 p.m.: The Gophers lead the Cardinals 12-11 in a back-and-forth affair right here early on in Des Moines.
- 12:15 p.m.: And we’re off and operating. The day’s first sport has tipped. It is a matchup between Minnesota coach Richard Pitino and his father’s former college, Louisville. Each groups are preventing for a possible second-round conflict with Michigan State. The Cardinals entered the sport trending downward, having misplaced seven of 10.
Publish bySource link